Thursday, September 6, 2007

Set In Stone - The Race To Translate The Hieroglyphs

The other hebdomad I establish myself wondering around Tottenham Court Road in London, it was a unworried summer's day, I had no existent programs and I was just enjoying observation the people going to and fro about their business.

I turned a corner and suddenly came human confront to face with the presence entranceway of the British Museum. I stopped for a piece to take in the classically styled, pillared presence entrance. I had not been to the museum since my social class had come up here on a school trip in 1976. The feeling of those affectionate memories welled up inside me and so I decided that a re-visit mightiness well be in order.

As I entered the building, I veered left. I seemed to retrieve that this was where the Egyptian subdivision put and a few minutes later, I was proved right. As I looked down the gallery, I could see a countless of statues and artifacts from Dynastic Arab Republic Of Egypt lining the length of the hallway. Iodine started to do my manner forward to see what hoarded wealths I could find.

Before long I came upon a glass lawsuit with a immense bowlder inside it. But hang on…this wasn't a boulder! It was the celebrated Rosetta Stone. The Rosetta Rock is a Ptolemaic epoch stele and it is inscribed with the same textual matter in Egyptian Hieroglyphs, Egyptian Romaic and Classical Greek.

The Rock had been important in unravelling the Language of Egyptian Hieroglyphs in the 1820's. Before that clip the Hieroglyph linguistic communication had been dead for centuries. It had been undecipherable because no 1 had had a 'key' with which to compare the linguistic communication against.

That key, the Rosetta Stone, was unearthed in 1799 at Rosetta in Egypt. Classical Grecian was known and still studied by the educated social classes at that time, so people were confident of a interlingual rendition because they understood the Grecian subdivision and thought they just needed to fit the Grecian against the Hieroglyph and Romaic sections.

A interlingual rendition eluded every distinguished scholarly person though until 1822. A Young French pupil Jean-Francois Jean Francois Jean Francois Jean Francois Jean Francois Champollion made the critical discovery in recognising that each fictional character was not to be read as a letter, but as a phonetic or ideographic sign.

Champollion was one of the top of the modern transcribers and his successful methodological analysis shows the qualities every good transcriber should have; intelligence, resourcefulness, patience, the ability to believe laterally and a house apprehension of his subject.

Should you ever necessitate a interlingual rendition service you will happen the transcribers there utilize the ego same qualities today as Champollion used manner back then, to transport out their task.

In their ain way, they constitute a direct line of sequence leading from Champollion in 1822 right up to today!

No comments: